MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT
As we savor the last days of summer, many of us are eyeing the next four months as a last chance to attain those yearly goals. From Labor Day to New Year's Eve, it's time to focus on the critical. Here are three top tips from business growth experts to help you do that.
- Get a handle on your time management. Our time is one of the few things we get to control.
- Focus on consistent small tasks that drive the big picture. For example, one call, email or letter each day can start a landslide of new business.
- Skip the to-do list and make a firmer commitment with a will-do list. These items direct your daily actions and everything else goes on a wait list.
I am also looking forward to the rush of business development activities this fall. Don't forget to mark your calendars for these great events and connect with fellow TMA members, locally, regionally and nationally. After all, networking and education is what we are all about!
- A one-of-a-kind September 19 reception with Sara Ross on the Science of Emotional Intelligence in Leadership, co-sponsored by NJTMA-NOW and IWIRC New Jersey. (see full story below)
- 13th Annual Northeast Conference at the Gideon Putnam Spa Resort in Saratoga Springs on August 30-31. If you haven't signed up yet, now's the time! This regional favorite conference is hosted by the Connecticut, Long Island, New Jersey, New York City, Northeast and Upstate New York Chapters. In addition to a panel discussion on Trending Issues in Chapter 11 cases, the conference offers many opportunities to network with industry leaders and peers over golf and tennis. There's also a keynote speaker you won't forget: First Sergeant Matt Eversmann (Ret.), hero of the Battle of Mogadishu which was immortalized in Black Hawk Down. NJTMA is offering a $50 Gift Card for any NJTMA member who attends the conference.
- 2017 TMA Annual Conference has a theme of Disruption and Its Ripple Effect featuring TED-style talks and sound bites from industry leaders. To be held October 23-25 at the Omni Fort Worth Hotel in Fort Worth, Texas, there will be Texas-inspired events ranging from bull riding at Billy Bob's Texas, to lassoing and a whiskey tasting at TMA Fest at Sundance Square. There will also be new and enhanced networking experiences like the ABL Forum and the TMA Café. But don't wait, the deadline for the early bird registration is September 18.
Janey Mitnick, Founder and President
SM Financial Services Corporation
NJTMA Scholars Named
In reviewing applications for NJTMA's scholarships for children and grandchildren of NJTMA members, it became clear we have many local students who have achieved academic and personal excellence. This year we awarded three scholarships to hardworking scholars who were highly recommended and also gave back to their communities.
- Jonah Ravin has started at Fairleigh Dickinson University in Madison, NJ. He is a graduate of Mountain Lakes High School where he was on the honor roll, wrote for the school newspaper and played for the JV Tennis Team. With focus and dedication, he earned his Eagle Scout and became an Assistant Den Leader. He also volunteered with the Mountain Lakes Public Library, worked at TGI Friday's restaurant, and worked with special needs children at the Friendship Circle.
- Amy Hauer attends McGill University in Montreal, majoring in psychology. She is a graduate of Princeton High School where she developed a thirst for learning. She was a peer tutor and peer group leader, a newspaper staff writer, and recipient of numerous awards for academic achievement. She also served as a volunteer coach for Princeton Special Sports and worked summer jobs at Jack Wills and Princeton University Research Integrity & Assurance.
- Stephanie Hauer attends the University of Virginia, majoring in economics with a double minor in mathematics and leadership. She is a graduate of Princeton High School where she graduated with honors. At the University of Virginia, she is on the Women's Club Lacrosse Team, a member of Student Council and a peer advisor in the ULink Peer Advising program. She also holds a job in the University of Virginia's Football Recruiting Office. An organized and diligent student, she has received numerous awards for academic achievement.
In addition, we are grateful for the dedication of our committee members in reviewing applications. Thanks to President-Elect Steven F. Agran, CTP, MBA, Managing Director, Carl Marks Advisors and to Director, William V. Giovanniello, CTP, Managing Director,
BDO USA LLP.
Anthony R. Calascibetta, CPA, CTP, Partner
Join us for a very special presentation
NJTMA's Networking of Women (NJTMA-NOW) and IWIRC New Jersey are co-hosting a reception with Sara Ross on the Science of Emotional Intelligence in Leadership.
We've all felt that pressure-cooker environment at one time or another. It changes how your brain functions, how your memory works and your ability to connect with others in a meaningful way. When you're a leader, that could be disastrous.
A Senior Research Consulting Partner at the Institute for Health and Human Potential (IHHP), Sara Ross will show us the science of emotions that drive behavior under pressure and how to manage them, plus teach us practical strategies to respond more skillfully. She has challenged and supported leaders of Fortune 500 companies including MARS, Allstate, Wyndham Hotels and TD Bank, as well as leaders at the University of Toronto and the U.S. Army, to be their best even in the most difficult pressure-filled situations.
All are welcome, don't miss this one-of-a-kind event:
- When: Tuesday, September 19, 6:30-9:00 p.m
- Where: Mayfair Farms, 481 Eagle Rock Ave, West Orange, NJ 07052
Janey W. Mitnick, Founder and President
SM Financial Services Corporation
Sydney J. Darling, Esq., Counsel
Walsh Pizzi O'Reilly Falanga LLP
What a Great Symposium by the Sea!
Those who joined us on the boardwalk at the Resorts Casino Hotel for the 2017 Mid-Atlantic Regional Symposium were not disappointed. It was once again a great two-day conference with many repeat attendees. We had over 270 participants, mother nature was kind and we were able to have all of the outdoor events that we had planned.
Geoff Colvin, Senior Editor-at-Large for Fortune and our keynote speaker was especially insightful as he commented on today's most significant business trends as well as leadership and globalization. I particularly enjoyed the Economist's breakfast panel featuring senior economists from PNC Bank, Wells Fargo Securities and TD Bank Group. On the social side, the new TMA NOW Mind, Body and Soul event was a real hit as was the oceanside yoga. I heard many favorable comments about the variety of networking events that made meeting new people and discovering new perspectives easier. And that's what it's all about.
A special thank you to the Symposium planning committee members from our Chapter - we couldn't have done it without you!
- NJTMA President, Jane W. Mitnick, SM Financial Services Corporation
- President-Elect, Steven F. Agran, CTP, MBA, Carl Marks Advisors
- Director, Sydney J. Darling, Esq., Walsh Pizzi O'Reilly Falanga LLP
- Director, Sharon L. Levine, Esq., Saul Ewing LLP
Oren Klein, Managing Partner
Please join me in a warm welcome to the following new members. You can connect with them through the TMA Member Directory
or introduce yourself at an upcoming event.
- Maria A. Dantas, Of Counsel, Riker Danzig Scherer Hyland Perretti LLP
- Michael E. Givner, President, IMG Business Advisors
- Michael Schreck, Managing Member, Reserve Capital Group LLC
- Ohas Shah, Senior Vice President, McKinsey & Company, RTS
- Gary M. Tripp, Vice President, One Source Risk Management & Funding Inc.
If you have any membership questions, feel free to reach out to me.
Joseph L. Schwartz, Esq., Partner
Riker Danzig Scherer Hyland Perretti LLP
August 30-31, 2017
2017 Northeast Conference
The Gideon Putnam
Saratoga Springs, NY
September 19, 2017
Joint Speaker Event with IWIRC-NJ
West Orange, NJ
October 23-25, 2017
Omni Forth Worth Hotel
Fort Worth, TX
November 1, 2017
Joint Panel Event with NJCFA
Tournament Players Club
at Jasna Polana
January 24, 2018
Joint Super Networking Party
Iberia Tavern Restaurant
September 26-28, 2018
The Annual-TMA's 30th Annual Conference
Colorado Springs, CO
Please check our website
for event updates.