What a fun run! These last two years as President of the NJTMA have been rewarding, inspiring, and very productive. We hosted some great events with networking, deal-making and professional development; represented our state well at TMA Global events; and raised amazing scholarship dollars for the next generation of turnaround and corporate restructuring professionals. We also had some fabulous sponsors (see below), without whom our programming would not have been as engaging. I was honored to serve as President during 2018, our Silver Anniversary year, and will never forget our 25 th Anniversary Party.
I'd like to share a few thoughts with you before I turn things over to incoming President Oren Klein, Managing Partner of AuctionAdvisors, who will be sworn in at the Annual Meeting. It was a privilege to have led the NJTMA through some notable accomplishments. We have:
- Stabilized the membership and continued efforts to reach our goal of 250 members.
- Strategized with the board to attract more investors, workout lenders, and others to diversify our membership (which brings more opportunity for all) and attract more members.
- Instituted board term limits to foster new participation and bring new ideas for improving NJTMA.
- Expanded our programming scope to include joint programs with other symbiotic organizations across the state and industry, which also gives each of us more networking opportunities.
- Upgraded our sponsorship program with enhanced benefits to increase the number of participating sponsors.
- Expanded the Annual Rosemary Gambardella Scholarship Competition to include students from Rutgers Law School and the Seton Hall University School of Law.
- Hosted the Inaugural and 2nd Annual New Jersey NextGen Education and Networking Event along with seven organizations including the New Jersey Chapter of ACG, IWIRC, NJSBA's Bankruptcy Group, RMA-Northern NJ Chapter, SFNet NJ and the New York Institute of Credit. The premier event attracts members and non-members of all ages.
- Continued the NJTMA College Scholarship Program for the children and grandchildren of members.
- Hosted numerous out-of-the-box events like NJTMA’s Martinis and Makeovers to attract more attendees.
None of these accomplishments happened in a vacuum. I am deeply appreciative of all our members who support events, share ideas and cheer us on. Allow me to thank some very important people and organizations.
Thank you to our board members for your leadership and hands-on work to make NJTMA great:
- Chairman – Jane Mitnick of SM Financial Services Corporation
- President-Elect – Oren Klein of Auction Advisors
- Treasurer – Richard Hauer of H3 Consulting Group
- VP Education – Ken Baum of Law Offices of Kenneth L. Baum
- VP Programs – Sydney Darling of Walsh Pizzi O’Reilly Falanga LLP
- NextGen Co-Chair – Chris Hemrick of Walsh Pizzi O’Reilly and Falanga LLP
- NOW Chair – Jeanine Krattiger of Carl Marks Advisors
- VP Outreach & Marketing – Anne Roslin of First Business Financial Services, Inc.
- Membership Chair – Joseph Schwartz of Riker, Danzig, Scherer, Hyland & Perretti LLC
- VP Sponsorship – Harvey Topitz of Rivers Insurance Group
- Honorary Board Member – The Honorable Rosemary Gambardella, U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey
- Brian Ayers of Rock Creek Advisors
- Sharon Bender of Sterling National Bank
- William Giovanniello of BDO USA LLP
- Harvey Gross of HSG Services Inc.
- Nicholas Jalowski of Cambridge Financial Services, LLC
- Dipesh Patel of Rising Pharma Holdings, Inc.
- Stephen Ravin or Saul Ewing Arnstein & Lehr LLP
- Paul Rome of Paul Rome and Associates, LLC
- Paul Schuldiner of Rosenthal Trade Capital
- Paul H. Shur of Becker & Poliakoff
- Len Walczyk of Wasserman, Jurista & Stolz, P.C.
- Allen Wilen of EisnerAmper LLP
I want to say a special thank you to Chapter Executive Betty Mantz for keeping us all focused and supporting our board and members. Without her support, we couldn’t deliver the 20+ educational and networking programs annually.
I look forward to seeing you at the January 23 rd Annual Meeting / Holiday Party.
Steven F. Agran, CTP, MBA, Carl Marks Advisors